The shocking story of how a ten-year-old girl endured a foster mother from hell – but found the courage to win justice.
When Jade Kelly met her new foster mother she thought her prayers had been answered. Kindly Carol Docherty was everything her violent, drug addicted mother was not. Loving and nurturing, she fed and clothed ten-year-old Jade and offered a life free of fear from near constant abuse. Or so Jade thought. As soon as social workers in Lancashire stopped their regular checks on Jade’s progress, Carol turned. Over the next six years Jade and three other girls were effectively kept prisoner in a bedroom she called the ‘bad room’ and subjected to unrelenting physical and mental abuse that included being:
· Shut in the room for 16 hours at a time, forbidden from speaking and beaten if they made the slightest sound
· Banned from using the toilet, making them wet the bed and having to go to school the following day still reeking of urine
· Routinely humiliated and persecuted, leaving her feeling suicidal
· Starved of food, forcing them to steal titbits from the school
· Branded ‘lesbian’, ‘dyke’, ‘fat’ and ‘slag’, creating such a negative body image that Jade became the youngest girl in Britain to undergo breast reduction surgery on the NHS.
Despite being aware of Jade’s problems, social services left her with Carol, leaving her emotionally and physically scarred. It was only years later, when she had access to her files that she saw how badly she was let down.
Douglas Wight is the Sunday Times best-selling ghost writer of nine books, including the autobiographies of Olympic gold medal winning GB hockey player Sam Quek, former world boxing champion Nigel Benn, snooker legend John Virgo and Hollywood actress Emily Lloyd. He also ghosted memoirs for an undercover cop for the Met, a money launderer in Miami and a woman who made legal history after surviving years of abuse. In addition he has written three celebrity biographies, including one that was written and self-published into the high street in three months.
He is also a leading freelance...
More about Douglas Wight,
Jade Kelly is 30 years old and grew up in and out of care, suffering emotional, physical and mental abuse at the hands of her birth mother, her stepfather and then by her foster mother. Her almost daily ordeal involved her suffering regular beatings, being starved of food, being made to sleep on the floor naked, constantly watched while she showered, having her hair cut off, being called a ‘slag’ repeatedly from the ages of 12-15 years old, which resulted in her suffering acute body issues and having a breast reduction ...
More about Jade Kelly